Chick Update



I've received a request for a chick update. Here's the dirt. I got them on March 19th, so they are just over 3 weeks old. However, they have lost most of their fuzz and are rocking a full set of feathers. Their combs are also coming in. And they have figured out how to fly.



Joseph came into the room and saw one, (Punky of course) walking on the top edge of their box. I've been the main chick caretaker so Joseph hasn't really handled them much. In fact, I have not seen Joseph or his brother Waldo crooning Regina Specktor songs to the chickens while doling out delicious dead mealworms!




That's been my job and I like it. I'm trying to socialize them so we can be pals when they are much bigger and I'm trying to steal all of their eggs.



So Joseph was faced with a situation. Punky the chicken was dancing on the edge of the box and threatening to jump. What's a man to do? Apparently he was able to reason with her and get her back in the box, but it's what he reported to me later that makes me happy. He's afraid of the chickens! Now, it's not that I don't want Joseph to be super best friends with the chickens and throw meal worm sing a long parties. There's enough chicken love to go around. What excites me is that he has an irrational fear and that's usually my department. One irrational fear for Joseph, 60 bazillion for me. Maybe after a couple years of farming he'll catch up with me. He did run screaming like a girl when he saw a snake in our field.... One can only hope.

In the meantime, it looks like I am officially the chicken lady.

Comments

  1. Oh man!!! Those little jeebers are getting serious!!! I am glad for the chick update and pics. I can't blame the fear of chickens though. Some serious claws on these guys!! Gonna get you in your sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just starting to get used to 'Joseph' and now you throw 'Waldo' at me?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment