This Holiday Season, Give the Gift of Bats




Bats have never had an easy going relationship with humans. Many people are just plain freaked out by them. However, bats are not interested in harming humans and they aren't vampires (except for three measly species in Latin America). Bats are dying by the millions while humans apathetically stand by. Their populations in North America have been severely diminished by a fungus called "white-nose syndrome".  Since 2006 over 5 million bats have died! I first read about white-nose syndrome in the New York Times when it was discovered in New York State. It broke my heart and I've been following the plight of North American bats since that time.

As a novice farmer I've learned about batty contributions to our eco system. They eat ridiculous amounts of insects making them an invaluable asset to organic farmers. They are also big time pollinators. Without pollinators our plants don't produce the fruit and seeds that are vital to reproduction and deliciousness.

Recently I was listening to NPR and heard that they were making an artificial bat cave to combat white-nose syndrome about 45 minutes from my home! I was super excited that ground breaking bat news was going on right in my neighborhood. I volunteered my efforts but the cave has already been built. If all goes as planned, the bats will hibernate in the artificial cave this winter as opposed to the near by cave where bats have contracted white-nose syndrome.

I found this organization which gives detailed instructions on how to build a bat house. Joseph doesn't know it yet, but we will be building some bat homes soon. Given that he was a huge fan of batman growing up, and still claims that batman is the ultimate superhero, I can call him a hypocrite if he resists.

I'm even considering building bat houses as christmas gifts. I'll see what Joseph thinks. Or maybe I'll just hand them out in front of Tractor Supply like the blue bird guy.

Did you know.....

...bats have been around since the time of dinosaurs?

...the smallest bat is called the bumblebee bat and is the size of a penny?

...similar to chickens, bats sleep on "roosts"?

...bats have an enzyme in their saliva that helps to dissolve clots which is used medically to treat   stroke victims?

So, do your part and spread the word on the awesomeness of bats.

Comments

  1. This very much explains my recent bat card.
    And very interesting medical fact about their saliva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bats. We have a whole festival for them here in Austin. You should check out the info on the bats in downtown Austin. I am also very sad about the white nose plight, thanks for writing about it. We would love a bat box for xmas! You are going to love what Mykey and I have cooked up for the holidays as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did read about the Austin bats! I saw a picture of them under their bridge. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment