How Thin is Too Thin?

I recently quit my full time job in the ICU. It was time for a change. I picked up a PRN (part time) job in the recovery room of a women and children's hospital. Next week I'll start working on the actual unit. I've been tied up in hospital orientation the last few weeks. It wasn't easy to leave my old job. I was comfortable and loved my co workers, but it needed to happen.

The plan is for me to take some time and do new stuff. Get out of my grind. Specifically, write, farm and photograph. The things I talk about wanting to do more of, and love to do.

It's amazing even with lots of time how easy it is to get sidetracked. I need to make a conscious effort to make these things a priority and a reality. Already since quitting my job I've got sidetracked a bit. Granted, they've been welcome, self imposed diversions but I wonder if I'm taking on too much.

  • I'm starting a smoking cessation group. Our county doesn't have one so I will be leading our very first smoking cessation group. More on that soon. I'm very excited about it.
  • Bill Scrapps moved in. 





  • I had my Botox surgery. So far, I've noticed a big difference in my urge/need to urinate. This is a huge deal.
  • My other brother in law moved in. He's older, more mature and employed than my other brother in law. It's going well. 
  • I got fed up with my county's sub par recycling program. Currently you have to sort and bring your stuff to to a scary dump with limited recycling capabilities  You have to be pretty dedicated to make the trip. Most people around here are not dedicated recyclers so I don't think much recycling is going on. I also want to help out with conservation. I'd love for Tennessee to be the first state in the south to have a plastic bag tax. In an effort to do something about this I've contacted all the non-profit environmentalist groups and conservation groups in Tennessee and nationally. I'm going to get all my allies together and hopefully help push us in the right direction. Also, there are really interesting things you can do with trash. For example, you can make countertops out of old glass. This is good for the environment and the economy. I'd love to start a glass countertop company!
  • I'm training for a half marathon. This isn't really a big deal, but it does take a little extra time. Exercise does wonders for my mental health.
  • I'm trying to write this blog! 
  • I'm working a couple of photography projects and trying to learn photoshop.
  • I made a new friend! We actually met on the internet. More on that later. 
  • The farm! "Start seeds" has been on my to do list for two weeks! At least I've ordered them, but I need to get crackin'. 
  • I'm making all sorts of awesome food from scratch all the time. This is very important to me. 

  • I'm keeping my household running smoothly.
  • I tried to justify a silly purchase by selling part of it on Ebay and lost $.08 and an hour or two in the process. 
  • I'm taking an equine nutrition course on coursera.org. It's really interesting and the instructor is from Scotland which makes her lectures absolutely captivating. 
  • I'm taking my first horse riding lesson in 20 years next week. I can't be in the middle of horse country where people are giving horses away and not try it out.

All these things are important. I don't feel like I can give any of it up and yet sometimes I feel like I'm trying to do too much. On the flip side, if I'm not busy I get cagey. Joseph thinks I ought to clean less.  He says, "In the story of Mrs. Blue, do you want to be remembered as the girl who had a clean house?" 

No.... But I get ants in my pants when it gets too messy!

Here are my questions.

  1. How do you manage/prioritize your time?
  2. How do people have children and lives at the same time?








Comments

  1. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job managing/prioritizing your time if you're getting all that done, doing a much better job than me, so I won't try to help you with that question.
    Re having kids and lives at the same time, there are probably hundreds of different answers to that one. For some people the kids are such a big part of their lives that the kids ARE their life. At the other end of the spectrum are the people who walk out on their kids. Probably the best answer is somewhere in the middle. Like everything else, it's a balancing act. And some of us are better at that than others. You could manage it, if you want to. But no, it's not easy. And yes, it does cramp your style. It's just a choice you have to make, like everything else. And there's no right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't struggle with prioritizing because I only have two bullet points on my list, work and sleep. I think you should applaud youself just for trying as many things as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re kids and having a life: You dramatically lower your standards on what you can get accomplished while they are young.When they are under the age of 4 expect that they will really need you and take up most of your time. How to survive that time, well read my blog and see what I have figured out and get some community! Its so important to connect with other parents and kids and people so you are not raising them in an isolated bubble. After 4 I am sure it is still a lot of work but they have gained more independence and are relying on other people to help aka teachers at school etc. so you have more time to do your awesome radical projects. Children are a big project, and ideally they are just one of the big projects in your happy full life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment