What is the Government Doing?

I guess the President is trying to appear gun friendly? President Obama's recent display of gun lovin', has gathered some interesting responses. One comment was from one of Tennessee's own Representatives, Marsha Blackburn. Essentially what Representative Blackburn stated was that she doesn't believe that the President really loves guns and that it they had a skeet shooting contest she would win. In fact, she challenged him to one.

I think the whole charade is a waste of time and I was especially disappointed by Representative Blackburn's comment. I think it made us look like a bunch of dumb hillbillies, a stereotype many Northerners already hold. I used to be one of those Northerners. I'm not anymore. There are tons of great, intelligent people in the south. This area of the country has much to offer culturally, economically and environmentally. I wish that Tennessee's Representatives and Senators were working on important issues (like our despicable recycling program) or at least improving our image. Frustrated, I wrote an editorial to The Tennesseean.

"I would like to thank Representative Blackburn for making Tennesseans look like a bunch of rednecks on the national stage by challenging President Obama to a shooting contest. Strong work Representative. While Tennesseans battle poverty, pollution and violence you're challenging the President to a shooting match. Your comments are particularly ill timed given the recent massacre of children in Connecticut. Your statement made me ashamed to be a Tennesseean".

I doubt it will get published, but as you may have inferred by now, I like to at least feel like I have a voice.










Comments

  1. Before I even begin to comment on this recent blog, two things:
    1. Holy Cow on that lasagna post! Did you spend a week straight working on that or what? It's a book! I have to admit that being the meatatarian that I am, I'll probably never try that recipe, but kudos to you for putting it out there.
    and 2. I just noticed "emersed" in your 'About Me' section. Sorry, but I don't think that's a word. Maybe "immersed"?

    Now about this gun thing, or is it an Obama thing, or a Marsha Blackburn thing? I'm not sure. Well I was gonna reply that you're never going to get a sympathetic audience south of the Mason Dixon line. And then I read the article about Obama's shotgun pic and some of the comments that followed. And they were, of course, mostly Barry bashing, and I thought to myself, 'uh huh'. But I thought I'd also take a look at the editorial section of The Tennessean, since you mentioned it, and...surprise! I went trolling through the editorials looking for anything on gun control. Well I found a half dozen letters and guess what... They were all well thought out, well articulated arguments for taking a long hard look at gun controls and doing whatever we needed to do to reduce gun violence. I kid you not. So shame on me (and anybody else who thought the same) for assuming that it's all "you can pry the gun from my cold dead hands" down there. And kudos to you again for sticking up for those tons of great, intelligent Southerners.
    Now how about easing up a bit on your attack of Ms Blackburn. Go read those letters I read, and say something positive! Hell, we don't want those Rebs thinking that all of us Yanks ('cause trust me; to them you're still a Yank)are hot headed know-it-alls, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People with the most power always seem to be concentrating on things that mean the least to those with no power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. That's why they annoy all us normal people so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment