Day Five




The next morning I caught the ferry to Picton. The ferry ride was four hours long and full of spectacular views. I spent the first hour doing wall yoga in a corner then  sat outside on a little deck for the majority of the ride. 







The ferry landed in Picton where I scrambled to find the bus station so that I could get my bus to Nelson.

On the bus from Picton to Nelson we stopped at a tavern so the bus driver could grab a bag of "pork" from a toothless lady he referred to as a satisfied customer. I got to sit in the front seat which was a treat. A negative attitude cloud had started to descend since the hostel scare which I need to get over.

The bus driver treated acted as a tour guide in addition to driving the bus. We drove through Marlborough which is where most New Zealand wine comes from. Also prolific were the other two quintessential New Zealand items: hills and sheep. We then came to the green shell mussels capitol of the world which is in Havelock.  According to the driver these are the finest green shell mussels in the world. Then we hit the top spot for trout fly fishing.








My last bus transfer was late so I again scrambled to make a bus on time. This would be my final bus stop of the day, taking me from Nelson to Takaka. Takaka would serve as my beach town and gateway to the Abel Tasman Park and hopefully kayaking with baby fur seals.

P.S. My hands were still fried from the Rotorua bike ride.

Things I have been surprised to find in New Zealand:
KFC, Gloria Jeans Coffee, Westfield Malls, Subway.


Comments

  1. I'm very happy with the amount of pictures in this post! And it looks beautiful! That last one looks like a field of lavender in that light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like lavender. However they are marsh like grasses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment