Days 15 and 16: Queenstown to Wellington to Sydney

My flight from Queenstown to Wellington was on Air New Zealand. If you have not seen it, you should definitely check out the flight safety video they play for you at the beginning of the flight. It's pretty amazing. After the video concludes, the airline posts little trivia questions, and then, several moments later, they display the answers. Somehow me and my Kiwi seat-mate Darren formed a trivia team, humans versus t.v. even though there was no real game. Our trivia party passed the time quickly.

After we touched down in Wellington I took the shortest and most expensive cab ride of my life to an airbnb house on the beach. It was an old house that reminded me of the fishing cottages still standing in Fair Haven on the Long Island Sound near where I grew up. History emanated from the house from the moment I arrived.

The view from Sean's kitchen: straight into Lydall Bay, Wellington


Sean, my host immediately engaged me into a conversation that felt as though we were old friends catching up. He fed me some "bread pudding" he had baked for his son which was just bananas and strawberries baked with sugar. It worked for me. He also had an adorable and vocal cat.


I was lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean and rudely awoken by the sound of my alarm clock just a few hours later. I had to be at the airport two hours early for me international flight, which was scheduled to depart for Sydney at 0700.

We landed in Sydney early but were obliged to wait for a parking spot for the plane. The captain announced that we would be sitting tight for at least fifteen minutes. Unfortunately I had to pee but a flight attendant decided to have a power trip and forbade my using the bathroom. An Aussie couple thought she was being a mean jerk and let me know. That made me feel a little better, but I still had to pee. Half an hour later I was hungry, half wetting my pants, and angry. Sydney was not off to a good start.

Fortunately I soon found some food, coffee and a yoga studio. I had time to kill and no place to be while I waited for my cousin Lola to get out of work. I purchased a super cheap into pass at the yoga studio and found out they had showers! This was an exciting development for a sweaty nasty traveler. I showered immediately and proceeded to yoga class. An hour later I was a new woman.


I found a shop that sold nothing but buttons!


I met Lola at her apartment that evening and she decided we should go down to the Opera House. I was impressed with her energy level after a long day of work. The area around the Opera house was beautiful. We also visited a neighborhood called the rocks and had dinner at a nice pub. Though the day had started a little patchy, we were back on track.




Coming Soon!

Two blogs, two perspectives, two cousins with one impossible to pronounce last name and one weekend trip to Melbourne. Mrs. Blue and Cousin Lola will blog about the same weekend excursion. Mrs. Blue's version will air here, Cousin Lola's here: whichwayisup.me .   See you soon!

Comments

Post a Comment