Natural Diasters and The Long Distance Marriage

The Mexico posts will resume after this one.

As is well publicized on the news, Houston is currently experiencing the effects of Hurricane Harvey and massive flooding. Joseph is in Houston, I am in Tennessee. In Tennessee we've been having relatively cool and sunny weather, but I am wishing that I could be in Houston. It's hard to relax knowing that your spouse is in the middle of a natural disaster. I've requested ridiculously frequent updates from Joseph and he has obliged. However, it is hard not to look at the news. I've even got the mayor of Houston's twitter paged permanently open on one of my internet tabs.

On Saturday Joseph assured me that he was well stocked with cookies and as the Internet claimed that the entire coast of Texas was engulfed, Joseph reported that he was going on a run and that it wasn't even raining. This morning I called in a panic as the Internet reported Houston was underwater. Yet again Joseph was calm, still with a healthy supply of cookies. His car was not flooded, the condo roof was intact, his electricity was on and he was sitting down to play a video game with friends from the Northeast. I told Joseph if anything changed I wouldn't hesitate to drive Mike's big old Suburban van and tow the rotting boat from his field and come rescue him. Joseph assured me this was a bad plan, particularly as the motor to this boat was no longer existent. But I meant it. If I didn't have to work this week I probably would have already left.

It's a beautiful day in Tennessee but I wish I was in Hurricane Harvey in Houston.


Comments