Part Three: Opportunity



America is widely known as a land of opportunity and freedoms. I am not a Mexican citizen, but from my visits I would argue that Mexico is also a land of opportunities. A prime example of these freedoms present themselves on a leisurely day on the beach. Our research guided us to a beach within in a ten minute drive called Playa de Los Muertos or "beach of the dead". The beaches's namesake came from the cemetery located immediately behind it. After parking on the side of the road we were told that to park the car costs 50 pesos from some locals working a fruit/food stand. We doubted that this was legit and probably a scam but we just paid it. Not having a problem is worth 50 pesos. 

The beach itself was much less inhabited than the busy town beach. The water was clear and there was some shade from trees at the borders. We set up camp with our towels and chairs provided from the airbnb. I decided to read while Justin took to the water with his drugstore snorkel kit. Within minutes I saw Joseph storm out of the water and beeline for a trashcan where he promptly disposed of his newly purchased snorkel kit. Having been with Jospeh for over decade I could smell his frustration from 200 feet away. While he went back to the water I went to find a snorkel rental. There were no shops on this beach, it was fairly secluded but I felt someone would have a snorkel. I found a tent with a dad and two sons advertising excursions maybe, I don’t even remember what they were selling. In my crappy Spanish I asked if he had a snorkel I could rent. I haggled the price then he instructed me to watch his children while he took off on a small motorcycle to fetch the snorkel. I got to know his sons Tony and Michael pretty well by this time snorkel dad returned with a legit snorkel set. I brought the snorkel and flippers to Joseph and got back to relaxation on the beach. 

When Jospeh was done snorkeling we began the relaxation portion of our beach experience. Like I said there were no “stores” as you would expect alongside a beautiful American beach but there were individuals seizing opportunities to sell their wares. From our blankets we purchased from different people:

the best homemade macaroons we’d ever had, including a coffee flavored macaroon
popcorn
necklaces
weird beverages
snacks
beer

We were offered but did not purchase:
shirts
dresses 
hammocks
bracelets
shrimp on  a stick
ice cream
fresh fruit
This man is selling shrimp on a stick because he can.

In American you would probably need a permit sell your wares, and especially food. In Mexico if you want to see your homemade wares just get out there and sell. For the beachgoer it was pretty convenient. 

After a while I told Joseph I needed to pee. As we were on a secluded beach there were no buildings much less restrooms. Joseph who had consumed a few beers at this point told me to go in the water and pee. "But I feel bad" I whined. 

"Dolphins pee a lot more than you and they don’t feel bad. Case closed right"?? he said with the satisfaction of a lawyer who has just laid an argument which would surely release their client from any liability.  His argument was compelling and I did need to pee so I walked into the water and I did as I was told while pretending to smile and wave from the water. 


Joseph enjoying his weird and spicy beverage sporting his new necklace.


Later that afternoon after showering and bathing in the air conditioning in our condo we decided to hit a different massage shop. I booked us two appointments at six o’clock. The massage place was an a storefront open to the street on a busy tourist street full of chotchky sellers. At the appointed time were led to a curtain that separated the front of the shop from the back “room” where an a/c was put on for our convenience. A baby napped in his carseat in the corner. Three massage tables were laid out next to each other. We were instructed to strip down and get on the table. The second masseuse was set to arrive in five minutes. Five minutes turned into about 15 while we waited naked in the back of a shop with a sleeping baby. The massages were ok. I felt as though my masseuse was a little bit distracted, there was definitely more going on than two gringo massages. At the end my masseuse dipped her head close to mine and whispered one word in my ear: “finish”. 

I told Joseph about the funny end of my massage and he told me that he had also heard the word “finish” at the conclusion of his massage. We emerged to the front room of the shop to pay for our massages where there were several more family members and babies. Mexico is definitely a family friendly environment. There is no hiding of the children. They are shamelessly integrated. I respect that. It must be less stressful for parents. 

That's a massage baby

We stumbled around until we found our Mexican meal of the evening and then retreated back to our condo for some a/c and a movie on DVD. 



Comments