Old

My goal is to blog once a week and I will.

The ICU has been a little intense lately (no pun intended). I try to leave work at work, but that's not always easy. The take home message is pretty clear. Goddamn! Life is short. Sometimes I think there should be a scared straight program that takes place in the ICU.




We'd take the people who eat fried cheeseburgers for breakfast and people who never stop and smell the roses and walk them around. Yup, that woman is 35, we've done all we can do, and she's on her way out.

That said, I'm not judgmental of my patients. In fact my favorite patients are the smoker farmer bad asses who have never been to a doctor in their life. They have brown raisiny skin and you can't bathe the tobacco smell off them. I've tried. If they are conscious, they hate being in the ICU and they think we're all bat-shit crazy (we are). The term for this patient in healthcare is "non-compliant". My term for this patient is kindred spirit. I'm not going to get any more morose on you but if you don't feel like you are doing what you want with your life you need to get on that. Yesterday.


As previously blogged, I turned 30. It's going well. However, two days into my decade I threw out my back at work. It's pretty silly to try and lift 300 pounds of comatose man without at least 4 helpers, but I went for it with myself and an itty bitty student nurse any way. Whoops! Not getting away with that kind of stuff anymore. Welcome to 30! I took the hint and a few days off and I'm feeling better.

Then I needed a cavity filled. Or so I thought. Turned out a crown was also on the menu. Luckily I made it out, minus a coronation. Another close call.

Lucky for me, I've still got all my parts, and for the most part, I'm doing what I love. But more on that later.

Comments