Never a Dull Trip to Tractor Supply Company

Tractor Supply Company (TSC) is hands down, my favorite store. A surprise always awaits and they sell cool stuff. In the spring, they sell baby chicks and ducks and they don't care if you want to pick them up and snuggle with them for an hour. They have a giant magazine rack full of farming magazines. As mentioned in a much earlier post, they even sell apparel.

Joseph was aware I needed wood chips for the chicken coop and asked me if I wanted him to pick them up for me because he had to go into town anyway. I suspiciously declined his generous errand relieving offer. I'll be damned if I miss an opportunity to go to TSC.

Later that day I went to TSC to get the wood chips. Good times were in order as soon as I pulled into my parking spot.



That's right, that's a dog sitting on the roof of a car patiently waiting for his owner. I went up to the car and he didn't bark or budge. I guess this is the agreement he's worked out with his master. I'd like to know how he got up there.




As I walked through the doors of Tractor Supply, I heard barking coming from the back room! l went in to investigate and found puppies and kittens. Apparently the local animal shelter was having a little adoption thingy. As with ducks and chicks no one minded as I picked up and played with the kittens and dogs.



After weighing the pros and cons of owning another animal I got to the task at hand and bought up my wood chips. (Another great thing about tractor supply, and Tennessee in general, is that you can bank on seeing at least 5 grown dudes in overalls.)

As I walked out of Tractor Supply a man with a bright orange pick up truck full of birdhouses asked me if I wanted one.

"They're free", he added as he saw me hesitate.

Hells yes I wanted one! He then explained that I was not to paint it and should not add a perch to it. If I followed his instructions I could expect bluebirds. I took my free bird house and sped off to the YMCA for my morning workout.

En route to the YMCA I began to shame myself for not interrogating the bird house man. If I didn't investigate, who would? Not stopping to chat with this man was a prime example of NOT "stopping to smell the roses"and that's lousy. It's not every day you find a guy who builds blue bird houses and peddles them for free. A chat session was in order. Excited with my new mission, I pulled a U-ey and sped back to Tractor Supply. "I'm fixin' to blog on this shit!" I thought. 


I pulled into the parking lot and waited for him to finish his birdhouse speel with a pair of old ladies who wanted to know if they could mount the birdhouse on a telephone pole, then, I nonchalantly ambled towards him.

"Want a birdhouse?" he asked.

"Thank you, you already gave me one, but I'd like to know why you are giving birdhouses away".

"Well, I like making them and people give me the wood. I've built 2,920 bird houses, gave 660 to Tennessee state parks."

We chatted for a while longer, the number 2,920 reappearing several times over the course of our talk. He also reported that 90% of the people he gives the houses to get actual bluebirds (as opposed to pesky sparrows).

He told me he lives in a cabin in the woods and that he'd been interviewed by a local news station at some point. He was real keen on numbers and I was impressed that he knew the origin of every piece of wood for every birdhouse. By the end of our conversation I determined that he was a nature loving oddball. Good for him for helping to provide bluebird habitats. Someone's gotta do it.



And now you know why I love going to Tractor Supply.


Comments

  1. I'm thinking that car has a sunroof (the one with the dog on top)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I wish there was any store around here with that much excitement promised to be in store. Im glad you stopped to smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment