Ma'am?

One stereotype about folks in the south is that they are more polite. This stereotype is true. A prolific example of this is the use of Ma'am. Before I moved to Tennessee I think I had been addressed as Ma'am about 3 times. Now that I live here, I get addressed as Ma'am at least three times a day. I love it.

I can show up at Walmart after having worked out, looking like a maniac and the cashier will address me as Ma'am and strike up some friendly chit chat.  I get a ton of Ma'ams at work from patients and their families. Waldo's teenage friend calls me Ma'am despite my trying to make him feel welcome in our house.

I have discovered that a properly delivered "Ma'am?" can serve as a "what did you just say?" What-did-you-just-say-Ma'ams are probably my favorite. Try it on someone, you'll see why.

The other day I admitted a little old man into the ICU. He was a bit out of it, hard of hearing and blind, so I was getting all the information I needed from his son, who was probably in his late 40's. The son was no bumpkin, but he was all Southerner. He must have Ma'am'ed me 40 times. He was super attached and scared for his dad so I think he was on his best behavior. I struck up a rapport with the son and tried to set him at ease a little bit. We had the inevitable "so where are you from?" talk and I told him I was from the Northeast. I don't think he was too surprised. 

A dinner tray arrived for his dad and he lovingly cut up the sweet potato and turkey. It was hard to keep his dad awake so his son was introducing each bite with a big narrative, like you would do for a child to keep his attention. When it got to dessert time, he really tried to sell it. 

"Look dad! Banana puddin!, your favorite!" "Come on dad, let's try some puddin'!"

I was in the corner typing his father's medical history into the computer. The son sneaked a glance back at me as if remembering I was there. His face morphed into a more somber expression as he said, "I guess it's pudding, not puddin'?" as if realizing for the first time that elsewhere in the country, puddin' is weighed down with a "G".  

We laughed. Personally, I think puddin' has a lot more flavor.


===============================================================

Side note:

My Dad turns 55 today!  Happy Birthday Dad!! Thanks for your blog support, it helps me to keep blogging.

Comments

  1. Sometimes your posts, like this one, are so sweet and endearing that they make me want to cry. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I think about it, that "g" is really weighing poor puddin' down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment