Only in Tennessee....

Only in Tennessee can you introduce your friend to Thai food. That's right, I found the last Thai food virgin in America. She loved it!

After lunch I suggested we go to Sweet Cece's. It's one of those serve yo self frozen yogurt joints. They only have giant cups and they have a Willy Wonka caliber display of toppings.


We get to Sweet CeCe's and she reads the sign:



I'm thinking I've introduced her to self serve frozen yogurt. She says: "Cool, I've never tried frozen yogurt before!" What! Now, I know you're from Northeast Kentucky and you've never left this tri-state area but really? She loved it.




Another day, as I rolled up on the gentleman pictured below, I realized that I've gotten somewhat immune to the freak show that Tennessee regularly provides. Proof of my immunization status was seeing this guy, bypassing all other thoughts and going straight to coveting his hog.  I like it's simplicity and size. I was completely unfazed by the overalls and viking ponytail.





And surely, only in Tennessee can you get bonafide squirrel cooking tips. One day, I transferred a patient from the ICU to another hospital floor. As we wheeled out of the ICU the old man promised a squirrel to one of the nurses who took care of him. We entered the hallway and I casually asked him if he was talking about eating squirrels. He was. I told him I was new to squirrel eating and asked for some tips. He told me a fried squirrel makes a good breakfast with biscuits and gravy. He repeated this a couple times during our conversation. He then told me that you have to boil the old squirrels before you fry them.  I had two questions regarding the boiling of "old" squirrels.

#1 Why do they need to be boiled?

#2 How did he know they were old?

He explained that they needed to be boiled first because they are tougher.  He couldn't explain how he knew the relative age of squirrels. In fact, the question stumped the shit out of him. "You just know," he finally said.  I dropped him off and trying to be nice I told him I might eat a squirrel one day. Obviously I was lying my ass off.

Only in Tennessee....

Disclaimer: I love everyone in this story. I don't think negatively about any of them. We just come from shockingly different worlds. 

Comments

  1. Well she hadn't experienced Thai or frozen yogurt...but I bet she could have told you about squirrel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment