A Woman, Three Dogs and the Open Road

Joseph's cousin is getting married this Saturday at an ungodly hour in one of my favorite Connecticut towns. We wanted to attend the wedding and it has been a while since we've been to CT, so we decided to make the trip. We decided to drive rather than fly so that we could return some belongings to Waldo and deliver a rocking chair Joseph had made for the birth of his best friend's child. Driving would also enable us to bring the pack of dogs we have acquired. Having already asked our neighbor to watch the dogs earlier in the month, I couldn't stand the idea of asking him yet again. I have no doubt he would kindly oblige us, but I felt as though I would be putting avoidable stress on him.

Joseph had been traveling in California earlier in the week and I had plenty of time off, so I decided to spare him the 18? hour road trip and take to the road with the canine crew early. I figured I could make a three day adventure out of the trip, rather than rushing. The little exposure I have had to Appalachia left me wanting more. Luckily there appeared to be a great hiking spot about 7 hours from home in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Traveling there would bring me through the mountains and would surely be a scenic ride. Bringing 3 dogs may provide an additional challenge. But, if there were any trip suited to dogs, hiking would have to be it.

I am determined not to let my garden go to waste so I packed a giant cooler and prepared many meals.

2 of the ways tomatoes will be eaten, tomato salad not pictured

I'm also bringing eggs to share with family. I'd like to make this journey without purchasing any food.

Precious cargo


I even brought my blender to maintain my morning banana protein shake ritual. My goal is to write about our trip every night. We'll see how it goes..







Comments

  1. Ironically (or not so ironically, rather to solidify our differences) my favorite part of a long trip is eating chips, soda, and candy.
    I'm insufferable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be hard on yourself, you're not alone.. Why do you think gas stations sell so many snacks??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment