Fun Times

Last night my dog's ass exploded. What I thought was an abscess on her rear end was actually an inflamed, feces filled, anal gland. This is the first time in 8 years she has had an anal gland blockage problem. But, hell, might as well start now. My other dog Ichabod was scheduled for a dental cleaning this morning anyway so I just brought her in.
Crying inconsolably at the vet.

The vet remedied the problem and sent us home with antibiotics and Ichabod checked in for surgery. I'd return later in the day to pick him up. The next day would find me administering antibiotics to two dogs.

Although I have gone to the vet with three dogs, I figured two dogs was enough to wrangle at once so I left Bill Scrapps at home in the bedroom while I took the other two in.  Apparently this displeased him so he decided to protest the only way he knows how. He pooped and peed in the bedroom. I guess the overnight ass explosion from my other dog wasn't enough. As I scrubbed down the bedroom and then hauled my own ass outside to tend to the chickens I pondered a question that had been on my mind lately: Do the daily responsibilities of three dogs and eight chickens equal those of one human child? On some levels, I think one human would be easier. For one, I'd give anything to put diapers on my dogs. On the other hand I don't have to worry about getting my dogs into good schools or wonder if they'll grow up to be epic fuck ups. I already know they're never going to be able to provide food or shelter for themselves. I'm just wondering if the day to day time and effort of my animal load might compare to one human.

All that said, as many a groggy mother in the recovery room has told me after she tells me the toll her many children has taken on her body, "I wouldn't trade it for anything".



Comments

  1. There are days when I read something and all I can think is, "I have to worry about THIS too?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more of a small dog issue, so I wouldn't stress about it. For some reason it's also common in cocker spaniels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment