This Week and Mrs. Blue, Why Did you Start Eating Fish?

I worked a shift in the operating room. It was super interesting.

I bought, refinished, and made furniture. All separate tasks.

Planted and harvested.

Today I read this article entitled "Why I Started Eating Meat Again" and it struck a personal chord with me. In a nutshell, the author states that she was a vegetarian for a long time, became super in your face preachy about it, then decided that suffering is inevitable, so she'll eat whatever the fuck she wants.  I've read some decent articles about people who decide to stop being vegetarians. But this isn't one of them. In fact, the article's thesis is completely undeveloped and the author sounds like a complete douchebag.
More interesting than the article itself, are the comments that follow. Vegetarians lambast the author for being an asshole and tear apart her shitty logic. They also shame her for being the vegetarian that society loves to hate. The comments made me feel a little better.

I hate preachy vegetarians. I don't even like when people ask me about my food preferences. But this is my blog, and I can say whatever I want!!! I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. I became a vegetarian when I was thirteen because I loved the shit out of all animals and eating flesh felt like a wierd thing to do. As I aged, I continued to love animals, and got healthier. Not eating meat began to fit well with own personal health values as well.

I recently decided to start eating fish sometimes. Truthfully, I don't feel great about the eating fish thing, but I found out of the last year that I can't tolerate gluten. At home, this is a non-issue, but going out to eat can get pretty tricky as a vegetarian, gluten-free, no factory eggs, minimal cheese eater. So, I decided that I could tolerate eating some fish when given no other option.  I don't actually have any qualms with killing fish. I'm against the fishing practices that destroy the ecosystem of the ocean (and dolphins) in order to get the fish we like to eat. I'm also creeped out at the notion of eating creatures older than my grandmother, such as most lobsters.




One article commenter stated that her husband doesn't eat any mammals, but does eat some fish with the exception of cephalopods. That caught my attention. First of all, what is a cephaolopod? I looked it up and found that a cephalopod is an octopus and a couple of other sea creatures. Apparently, commenter's husband doesn't eat them because they are crazy smart. They can open things, raid lobster traps and stick on the bottom of boats to prey on dead crabs. And we haven't even mentioned that they are one of the coolest looking animals on earth. I'm with cephalopod commenter. I won't be eating any of them on my fish eating adventure. In fact, the thought of any cephalopod being harmed in the process of fishing makes me want to stop eating fish again. I don't know how long my fish-eating experiment will last. I do know that I'd rather shit my pants than hurt a cephalopod.

This octopus is using a clam shell and a nut shell for protection.



Comments