An irrelevant opinion deleted from a paper I was writing for school.


My personal vision for a redesigned health care system is based on the principle of wellness. As Marshall (2011) points out, our current health care system is based on an outdated fee for service model. While this model is good for generating money for hospitals and specialty providers, it does not promote individual or population health. I would like to see consistency in compensation for providers of medical services rather than a fragmented system of compensation based on the whimsy of insurance companies. I would like to see better compensation for primary care providers based on reasonable, individually bench-marked improvements. I would like to see a greater integration between complementary and traditional medicine. I would like to see an expanded palliative care system and a cultural shift in end of life options instead of the current massively intervention based until the bitter end approach. Last but not least, I would like to see mental health on parity with physical health. 

Marshall, E. S. (2011). Transformational leadership in nursing: From expert clinician to influential leader. NY, New York: Springer Publishing.





Comments

  1. There's so much that could be ranted on the frustrations of the healthcare system. I don't even know where I would start.
    Probably with insurance companies. What a bear.
    I think the key is finding good providers who go above and beyond the sludge that weighs down the system. They are there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment