Day Four


The next morning I went for a run, grabbed some snacks for the journey ahead, and got packed up. Karin had washed and folded all my laundry the day before so I was setting off for the next leg with all clean clothes. I met up with Karin, Barry and Chris in the kitchen for breakfast. Karin turned me on to a whole list of her favorite fold musicians from around the world and I played Timbre Timbre for them.

I asked for number for a taxi and Karin and Barry offered me a ride to the bus station. After a day of cycling and unknowingly roasting my skin, my body was sore and my skin ached. There was no way I was going to backpack to the bus stop. I boarded my bus with only a minute to spare. Barry had been gathering all the recyclables at the house for a drop off. Karin explained that even though they pay astronomical rates (taxes) there is no curbside recycling pick up. This information made me feel better about the state of recycling in my home state of Tennessee. 

Typical New Zealand rest stop
The bus set off for Wellington, though our first stop would be the lakeside town of Taupo. From the second level of the double decker bus my views of the lake were breathtaking. Lake Taupo is far and away the biggest, most beautiful lake I have ever seen. It looked more like an ocean than a lake. I got excited for beach stay on the South Island. Thirty minutes later we were still driving along the “lake”. 

Another rest stop friend


The six hour ride through the beautiful rolling hills of New Zealand was interrupted half way through when the bus driver informed us the air compressor was broken and we would have to wait on a mechanic. Everyone piled out of the bus on what would be a two hour delay. I tried to make the best of it and found a diner to have some fish and chips at while making friends with a little Maori family. 

This is the ketchup bottle you get when you ask for ketchup to go outside



Eventually we were back on our way and a couple hours later than expected, arrived in Wellington
I walked to my hostel which I found with relative ease having memorized the directions the night before. I’ve yet to enjoy any of the data my phone company promised. 




I checked into Trek hostel of Wellington, and found my way to an unlocked shared bunk room. I’ve stayed in a hostel before, and this hostel was unlike any I had experienced. This hostel was actually a dorm for homeless teenage youth. At least that’s what it looked like. I felt like I was intruding on a gang of merry, guitar playing teenagers. The clothes of some random man were on my bed. I tried to make the best of it and made way to the showers. There were no towels and it was gross so I did a little bird bath in the sink. I got to my bunk. The bright lights were on overhead and the merry band of homeless teens were having a Bob Marley sing a long outside my window. It was 930pm and despite my best efforts, I could not sleep. With a full day of travel ahead I followed my husbands’ advice and did what he would do. I got the fuck out of there. 


I returned my key to the lobby, got a full refund and relocated to a hotel one block away. A clean bed in a cool room with my own private bath and towels was worth it. And, most importantly, there were no strange men in this room. 

Comments

  1. 1. Karin sounds like the bees knees. Seriously, that bitty is awesome.
    2. I can't believe you described this beautiful lake and didn't include a pic.
    3. Are those guiniea pigs? One with a mullet?
    4. We discussed the towel situation before you left and the likelihood of there being no towels many places you would go. Buy a towel tomorrow, lest you stay another place that is actually worth inhabiting overnight. You can't live on bird baths and that hand towel you call a towel.

    The views and people sound awesome so far!! I know someone who would enjoy a Bob Marley sing along......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment