San Juan


Joseph had business to tend to in Puerto Rico earlier in the month. Having grown up in a state inundated with Puerto Rican culture-Connecticut, I've always wanted to visit the island. To verify that I wasn't making up the Connecticut-Puerto Rican connection I did a little research.  An outdated Trinity College website informed me that Puerto Ricans are the largest minority group in Connecticut and that in one of the towns I lived in, Hartford, Puerto Ricans make up about 32% of the population. Wikipedia also informed me that New York has the largest Puerto Rican population in the United States, but I would argue that Connecticut's proximity, particularly the southern coast where I grew up, there is a lot of movement between New York and Connecticut. Additionally, Connecticut is a very small state and has the highest percentage of any state including New York, of Puerto Ricans (7%) . Hartford, Bridgeport, and New Haven, all cities in CT where I grew up or spent significant time, rank in the top 25 U.S places for Puerto Rican populations in the United States. My memories served me right. 

My best friend in 4th grade was a Puerto Rican girl. Her mom hated living in CT and I'll never forget the day when I went to her house and they were just gone with no notice. Back to New York I presume. On the plane ride over I tried to google my long lost friend wondering if maybe she had wound back up in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately Vicky Riveria is a very common name, so no luck with that one.

Without further ado, a picture tour of our week in Puerto Rico.*

*Tons of pics, may take a minute to load


El Covnento, a converted convent where we stayed for the week.

Another view of El Convento

Inside the room

A caterpillar with a dagger on his rump!

Joseph and his engineer posse en route to dinner

Saw lots of abandoned buildings like this one

I've never seen so many strayish cats. 


San Jose Church-the oldest church in the U.S.

A view of the fort that surrounds Old San Juan

More Fort
Cats enjoying the fort wall

The roof of our hotel

The most popular Puerto Rican bank

Inside San Cristobal Fort

Pirate doodles in the dungeon of San Cristobal fort

A fort look out

Inside the fort

Another look out



Inside the fort

Just pretty

A street in old San Juan

There are cardboard cut outs of this guy all over the city. I never figured out why.

Playing with my camera at the beach.


A woman unknowingly modeling in an infinity pool


The courtyard of El Convento. At night fruit bats frolicked in this giant tree!!





Comments