Summer in a Nutshell

These once a month mini blogs are pathetic! It's the eve of the beginning of a busy semester, but I'm going to try and post every Sunday. I can do it.

One of the reasons that summer whizzed by this year was that I started working in an emergency room. There are so many stories I could tell just from the two months I've been an ER nurse, but I'll save those for later.

We officially adopted the latest stray cat and I named him Al. Joseph is not completely sold on the name so we'll see. To house our stray cat collection, Joseph built kitty bunk beds. They immediately took to them. The picture below reminds me of the Brady Bunch opening song, so we now call them the "kitty bunch".





We officially became and Aunt and an Uncle thanks to Joseph's sister. This experience has been more fun than I anticipated. I hope to pay forward all the good aunting that I've been a recipient of to my new niece. As a side note, my new niece is a spitting image of my husband. It's a little weird. Has that every happened to you? A new niece or nephew that looks more like you or your significant other than the parent? In any event, she's got a lot of time to look more like her parents or her very own rendition of the family DNA.

We are moving! As you know we reside in our farmhouse on weekends and holidays and rent an apartment in the city to cut down on commuting. The country house is staying put but we decided to end our apartment lease and buy a condo instead. We are in the middle of a closing, but hopefully by September's end we will be condo owners.

One of our hens died. My immediate reaction was to dig a grave. However, just as I neared the completion of the grave I got freaked out about the whole Avian flu thing. So I brought her to a state lab for a free autopsy. As I packed up to bring her to the lab my sister's boyfriend quipped, "Don't forget your dead chicken".

I did not forget my dead chicken. Fortunately the cause of death was one of the most common in egg laying hens. An egg got stuck in her fallopian tube. The tube became inflamed and infected, the infection spread, and she died. In humans it's called salpingitis. In chickens it's called oviduct impaction. I was sad, but I'm glad it's not contagious. She's been dead about a month and the other six are alive and well.

And of course, I continue to grow tons of tomatoes. This year I'm actually saving the seeds which is easier than I thought it would be. It's best to ferment tomato seeds before saving them. To save and ferment tomato seeds:


  • Scoop out the seeds of your best tomatoes.
  • Put them in a cup with 1/2 a cup of water.
  • Let them rot on the counter in the water lightly covered for a week (out of the sun).
  • Pour the water out.
  • Dry the seeds on some wax paper.
  • Store the seeds in a cool dark place.




In other fermenting news I started making my own Kombucha with a mother I found on Craigslist for free. But that's a story for a different day. 

So long summer!


Comments

  1. What the f*** is a kombucha mother and what do you mean you found it on Craigslist for free?? You mean that fetus in a jar on the counter came from CRAIGSLIST??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment